50 Creative Writing Prompts (feat. Words & Images)
creative writing prompts: words
Sometimes, all it takes is a word and then you're off. Not all creative prompts are complex, pals! Use these words in whatever way you see fit - as titles, subjects of your work, passing bits of dialogue, it's up to you.
1. public house
2. happy hour
8. pecan pie
10. pierce film
14. the invitation
20. hot dog
CREATIVE WRITING PROMPTS: images
Visual prompts can oftentimes be all the more evocative. In this edition, I've selected 20 images to inspire the setting of your creative pieces. From perilous heights to your apartment postbox, I'm hoping that these images inspire you to step out of your comfort zone a little. Creative writing prompts give you an excellent excuse to let someone outside of your wheelhouse to take the reigns a little!
CREATIVE WRITING PROMPTS: CONCEPTS
Sometimes, of course, it isn't the words that are the problem. It's the entire concept. And so, I've scrambled together five basic creative writing prompt concepts to help you put pen to paper. Once you've found a thread or a character or a particular tone, you can run with it into your very own story.
1. it's your lunch break. today it looks a little different.
2. a letter is being written, maybe years too late.
3. same table. same person. a different set of circumstances.
4. spooky shit is going down. come on now, you know the drill.
5. they never could keep their hands clean for too long. this time, they're roping everyone else in with them.
CREATIVE WRITING PROMPTS: sentences
Sentences also make excellent creative writing prompts. They tell you more than a word could but they're oblique enough to encourage your brain to do some work. You may not want to use them in place of a killer first sentence but you could jump off from one, or more, of them.
1. she had something to declare.
2. i sat, curbside, with all my worldly possessions in the plastic bag next to me.
3. we did as we were told back then.
4. it was all scribbled down in that very same address book.
5. "why wait?"
And there you have it, 50 creative writing prompts for you to use as you see fit! Use them as starting points or building blocks on your way to creativity. In need of some more creative writing prompts? Have a look through my archive of creative prompts for further inspiration. You can also check out my other creative blog posts. Have fun!